Saturday, March 10, 2007

Wes Welker

The savior of the Patriots WR problems, as many in the media seem to be dubbing him. Don't get me wrong. I like the guys versatility. He even kicked extra points and I think a field goal in a game for Miami a couple of years ago when their kicker got hurt. He's also a good special teams player. WR though? I mean, sure Tom Brady can make any schmo above average so that they earn a lot of money in FA (see D. Patten & D. Givens). However, if that is the case, why not go out and sign a schmo. This is my main problem with getting Welker. They gave up a 2nd round pick for the guy. A 2nd round pick for a guy that was at best a 3rd WR behind C. Chambers and M. Booker? I don't even know if Chambers would have been worth a 2nd round pick. Basically, even if Welker were to perform like Branch did before he left, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with what the Patriots did here. I know a lot of people want to give the Patriots a pass, and assume they are still geniuses, because of the titles they won, but what about last year? The geniuses let Vinateri get away when they could have franchised the guy. They let Branch force his way out of town (although they did rip off Seattle in getting a 1st round pick for him), and they played an entire season about $20 million or so under the salary cap. Life is too short in the football world to waste a season being fiscally responsible. Admittedly the Patriots seem to be mending some of their ways this offseason with the A. Thomas signing, but I'm not going to give them a pass on every move any more. And I think that a 2nd round pick for Welker was an absolutely ridiculous price to pay for a guy that has done nothing more than be an excellent special teams player his whole career.

No comments: