Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Falcons trade Schaub to Texans Part 2

This started as a comment on Hanson's post, but ended up getting long-winded, so thought I would give my perspective here.

Not sure I like this move much at all from Houston's perspective. Although, Hanson may change his opinion after finding out all the details of the trade. For a 2nd rounder, I thought it was a decent option for Houston, since they wouldn't be investing much, and they probably weren't going to have a chance at B. Quinn anyway. Why not take a chance on the guy for a year and see what happens. However, paying that much for him (2 2nd round picks and a trade back of 2 picks in the first), and I assume giving the guy a lucrative contract to stick around past this year, marries them to this guy for at least 2-3 more years. Which means they'll pass on another QB when they're picking in the top 5 in '08. Do I think there's a chance Schaub is an improvement over D. Carr? Sure, there's a decent chance that is the case, although probably not much better, and this team had a lot more needs than QB. Giving up 2 2nd round draft picks in the next 2 years as well as moving down 2 spots in the 1st round, is not going to help those needs. From a fantasy perspective, I would not draft Schaub any higher than I would have taken D. Carr. The ceiling for Schaub in Houston is mediocrity. Also, Hanson states that Schaub "has shown the ability to play at a high level in the times he has filled in for Atlanta because of injury to Michael Vick." However, according to Aol's Tom Mantzouranis, in Schaub's 2 starts his stats are, "81-for-161 with six touchdowns and six interceptions." So barely a 50% passer with a 1 to 1 TD to interception ratio. Not sure what all the buzz is about, but I personally see the next Feely here. I wouldn't have been so down on this trade if the Texans had given up just one 2nd round pick, but I just think they paid too high of a price, when there are bigger issues on this team than QB. I'll be curious to hear if Hanson's take changes at all with the full details of the trade now out.

1 comment:

Hanson said...

Well, I have caught up on the full news now, and agree that I like this trade much less for the Texans now. It now seems like they may have overpaid to get Schaub, who I like, but is still mostly unproven. However, he is still more proven than anyone they draft, so I still like them getting Schaub, but just think they paid too much.
Now, I really love this trade for Atlanta. They move up to #8 in the draft, LaRon Landry step on down. Also, they can use their 2 second round picks to upgrade their offensive and defensive lines. Kudos to Rich McKay and the Falcons brass on this one.